Sunday, August 2, 2015

DIY kitchen Plank wall



 DIY PLANK WALL!!

Hello there everyone! Yes you. All 3 of you! Whoo Hoooo! 

J and I have been working on this one for a while now. I am so SO SOSOSOSOSOSOSOSO relieved that it is finally done. J has a funny way of telling me that he is fed up with a project. Take this one for example. We were trucking along great when on the very last piece, he stopped. Like not going to do anymore at all stopped. UGH. There is just somethings a girl needs a man to do for her. Like use a hammer above their head. I'm clumsy and I value my eyeballs so I need his manlyness for that. Anywho... It is done. I finished it this week. It wasn't very tricky to figure out. All you need is some basic math skills and you can figure it out pretty easily. 

Heres where we started. YUCK!
 
Nooooot very awesome. The cabinet on the floor was up next to the ones that are still attached. Use your imagination here. It was ugly nonetheless. We inherited this fridge and we hate it. It's seen better days and I am very much looking forward to demoting it to garage fridge. C'MON BLACK FRIDAY!  

The first thing we did was take a trip to the hardware and get about a million pieces of wood. I'm going to attempt to lay out the math here. Keep in mind everyones brain works differently lol. I confuse J daily with my mad math skills. SO you take the height of your ceiling in inches (sorry metric) and divide it by 3.5 (the width of a 1x4). That is how many boards you can use going up the wall. Now take your width measurement and multiply it by the amount of boards you will be putting on the length of the wall. The result of the first problem. I really hope I am making sense.  You will have a very huge amount of inches lol. You need to divide that large number by 12 to get the feet. Once you have the amount of feet you need you will need to divide that by 8 (being the length of a standard 1x4). That should give you the number of boards you need to buy. Ours was 19 and we used every single piece. 

The next step it to break out your collection of stains and get to work on that. 
I used rustoleum mineral green, minwax English chestnut, rustoleum weathered gray and varithane vintage aqua. I got a bunch of chip brushes and just threw them away after I used them. It saves my good Purdy's alot of wear and tear. 

OUr neighbor let us borrow his sawhorses so we didn't have to use Styrofoam lol. 
I just did an even amount of each color. Not included in this picture are the natural pieces that we just left alone. There were 4 of those. we chose to stain everything before cutting so it would go alot quicker and we wouldn't have little planks drying all over our yard.


We just used our miter saw to cut the pieces. We ended up using dividing the width measurement of the wall and it worked out pretty perfectly. 


So we had to deal with the cabinet being in the way. Hmm. It was interesting but we chose to have a small gap next to the cabinet since you really cant see it anyway and just used 2 boards across. Every other row we started with a half plank to give it a very uniform variation. In hind sight we would've started at the top but since we weren't using nails we started from the bottom and it turned out great. 

The hardest part is making sure you dont let any of the colors touch. I just sat behind the fridge and yelled at J which color to give me. We adhered each one with a liberal squeeze of liquid nails adhesive. That stuff is the bomb. diggity. 


Do you see what I am saying with the ONE plank he couldn't get up there AHHH! Also there was a gap so I had to put a piece of trim up there. 

We decided that the fridge now looked terrible and I hapened to have a fresh can of chalboard paint so we went for it. It's held up so fantastically on our fireplace I figured why not?!



 Annnnnnd we turned this cabinet into a pull out trash cabinet by moving the drawer glides to the bottom and attaching the drawer to the cabinet. Clever, I know.


Apparently we were a bit off with our measurement for the outlet lol. Kidding.



Seriously it's so so cool!  


SO there it is. So much has been done since this picture so I'll just leave you with the final all done photo one more time! 

Here ya go! 


No comments:

Post a Comment