Monday, April 13, 2015

Chevron Table and benches

Hello all. 


Theres something you should know. I am a serial re-doer. It's a problem... I know... I get tired of things fairly quickly and I just decide to re-do them. It happens. Sadly our table was the latest victim of my disease. I hated how I had to scrape kid food junk out of all of the cracks between the wood so I asked J if we could take it apart and put liquid nails between the boards so maybe I could just wipe it out. It was a big fail. Like stuff was stuck worse than ever kind of fail. So back to the drawing board it was. I had seen on pinterest a blog post where a lady made a chevron headboard out of plywood and 1 x 4 boards that she had stained individually in different colors. COOL! I thought I must have one. So after literally no thought about it at all I was sending J to Lowes to get the loot.

He picked up 4 - 1x4's, 3 - 1x3's, 2 tubes of liquid nails, 3 different stain colors (we had a ton already), a giant tub of wood filler and a big box of finish nails. You know cuz we are too old school to buy a nail gun lol. 

I was so worried that this would be a huge fail again so I didn't really take a whole lot of photos of the process but I'll show you what I have. 

Here's our table before: 

I know super awesome instagram photo. This was a year ago. When we finished the top. It was a regular old farmhouse style made out of 2 x 6's. I loved it. Till recently lol. 

Here it is 2 years ago!: 

The very first redesign of the table. Just 1 x 8's pocket holed together. 

Here it is today. Again I didn't really take any photos of the process because I was worried it wouldn't turn out well. 


Yes that is mac n cheese on my floor. My daughter was sleeping and she picked it up after her nap. Thats how we roll. 

See. Clean floor.

This is so blurry but oh well. I did a 90 degree corner in the middle and just went from there. I knew I wanted it to be centered on the table so I just measured and cut as I went. I glued and finish nailed each piece to our existing table top. I wood filled every crack between the boards and trim. That was a b**** but it's a dining table that has 4 kids at it every day so I didn't want to do ANY more scraping. Nope. Not gonna.


I stained each board individually with an artist brush. It was time consuming but worth it. 

I used MINWAX: ebony, red mahogany and english chestnut, RUSTOLEUM: weathered grey and mineral green. 
I also sealed it with Polyurethane. About 9 coats!! Again. Kids...


We are in the process of building two benches to go on each side for the kids. We used an Ana White plan for the frame and we winged it for the top since we wanted the chevron thing to keep on going. So here are a few pictures of the top. 



If it were up to me I would keep it like this and just paint it to look like a sweet scaly dragon or something. J wouldn't be too impressed... Ahh marriage. 

Here he is scraping some junk off after the first time I mis-measured the trim. Whoopsie. It happens pretty much all the time. Atleast I try :D 

It sure did turn out awesome though!! 


I love it! 


Now we just have to finish them and get a top put on the other bench. Because no one likes a topless bench.

No comments:

Post a Comment