Wednesday, April 29, 2015

French Onion Chicken

 Oh look at that. Ain't she purty?!?!
I got a little carried away with the mushrooms but hey, they're my favorite fungus so it's cool.

Hey there loyal followers. All 3 of you!

Today I have a real treat for you. Like so good you're going to lick your plate when you're done with thirds kinda treat!!

 May I present.....

French Onion Chicken

yep. YUM! I mentioned before that we are on a diet. I saved my calories today for this culinary masterpiece... Though it really isn't that bad so theres some good news.. 
You want to know an amazing secret??? Campbell's french onion soup. I was pretty shocked when I tasted it but it's LEGIT. Seriously.. This stuff tastes pretty close to high quality homemade, took 3 hours, soup. It's really good. Did I mention it's good? Yes.. Well it is. I licked the pull off top of death. I risked slicing my tongue open! Which is no surprise because I'm just that hardcore..

So here you go blogland. Enjoy! I took a few pictures of the process but I'll explain along the way.

French Onion Chicken:

1 pound chicken breasts (fileted)
1 can Campbell's french onion soup
1 package crimini mushrooms
1/2 cup chicken stock (my favorite is Kitchen Basics. It's rich and flavorful) 
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup flour 
salt and pepper
chives for garnish

1. filet your chicken breasts. Make sure they aren't like paper thin. Cut in half should be plenty fine. Salt and pepper each side of the chicken filets. 
2. Heat oil in a big skillet (I used cast iron) on medium high heat. Dredge your chicken in the flour and shake off the excess. Place them in the pan and cook until they are a nice golden brown. Flip them over and do the same. As soon as they're brown stick them on a plate to hang out until the sauce is ready. Its ok if they aren't cooked through. We'll get to that in a minute. 
3. throw your *sliced* mushrooms into the pan and cook until browned. 
4. Deglaze the pan by pouring in the soup and chicken stock and cook for about 1 minute to bring everything together. Scrape the bottom of the pan to get up all the yummy chicken bits that are hanging out.
5. Place the chicken back in the pan and flip once to coat in the sauce. Turn heat down to medium and allow to simmer until chicken is cooked through and the sauce starts to thicken. A good rule of thumb for reducing sauce is if it coats the back of a wooden spoon it's ready.
6. Give your self a high five because you just made dinner LIKE A BOSS!


Ok so I got to this point and I was like "Hey, Self, you should really be taking pictures right now because this is going to be the bomb!" Yes. I do talk like a teenager from the 90's in my head. I'm 27... I swear. 
Anyway. This is while deglazing the pan...

Adding the chicken back in... 


Little bit-o-garnish.. 


So this is another little gem from my kitchen to yours. I take out the chicken as soon as it's done rather than leaving it in the sauce while I get the plates ready. This keeps the chicken nice and moist.... Yuck. I hate that word. Even tying it give me the creepy crawlies. 


 Lonely sauce... 


Here she is. the first bite.... Hello my love... ANNNND that just made me think of Lloyd Christmas from dumb and dumber when he drops Mary off at the airport.. GOODBYE MY LOOOOOOVE! lol 

Anyway. Goodbye my loves. Until we meet again enjoy this recipe. It was damn good! My kids ate it and my 2 year old only eats pizza and crayons so that's saying something!

No comments:

Post a Comment